arla on FreeBSD 6 or 7?

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Fri Jan 25 01:25:29 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 12:57:56PM -0600, Alec Kloss wrote:

> I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about installing into
> /usr/local/arla vs. /usr/local.  The primary perk is it avoids
> conflicting with OpenAFS binaries installed in /usr/local.  It's
> not exactly hier(7)-correct.  The other options I could think of
> are:
>
> 1. Prefix the arla executables with something (arla- probably)
> and install into $PREFIX/bin, etc.  Install headers into
> $PREFIX/include/arla and libs into $PREFIX/lib/arla, and
> so on.

A couple years ago I ran into the same problem on NetBSD.
My local solution was to do exactly this (well, in /usr/pkg,
not /usr/local, but you get the idea). It's worked well
for me and a couple other folks I know. I don't think my
patch for this ever made it into the NetBSD package for
arla, so no idea what other users are doing.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames