UFS2 with SAN

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Thu Feb 15 01:52:51 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Tomas Olsson wrote:

> "Rick C. Petty" <rick-arla at kiwi-computer.com> writes:
>> the Arla client seems to behave just fine on DragonFly, Mac OS X, and all
>> other BSDs.  In FreeBSD, it's a wash.
>>
> DragonFly support is most likely fading away, AFAIK nobody's testing
> it. arla-0.43 (and arla-0-44-branch) should work on FreeBSD 5, let us know
> if there are any issues with that.

Hmm i managed to crash my system by doing an "ls -R" in /afs/something on
FreeBSD 5.5.

> As for arla post the blockcache rewrite, I now have OpenBSD going through
> the basic tests (fails on heavier tests).  If there's anyone with good
> knowledge of FreeBSD's vfs who's willing to help me out a bit I think we
> could have 6.2 support done in a week or so.  If all is well, that is :)

Great news!

In an earlier message on freebsd-fs at freebsd.org Jim Rees, rees at umich.edu.
stated:
"It wouldn't take much to get OpenAFS in pretty good shape on FreeBSD.  It
mostly has some locking and vnode ref count issues that shouldn't be too
hard to fix for someone who knows what they're doing.  I'd be happy to
point anyone in the right direction."

Maybe he could give you the push in the right direction?
(Even thou i suspect your motivation is more connected to getting arla up
and running under 6.2, Jim's input could perhaps help you in that
direction too?)

> Last time I tried on 5.5 it kept crashing on me in the turnstile walk.

My experience above with "ls -R" was also on 5.5 running arla-0.43.

> I'm already funded and can work full time on this, but a FreeBSD hacker
> would help a lot.  Any volunteers?

Thats nice news. And i realise that my little bounty might not make any
difference when people are "already funded" and have other motivations.

So let me rephrase my bounty. 1000 USD to the person who needs it and
makes a difference in implementing this. Otherwise given to the FreeBSD
foundation or some other Open source project/fund etc. when a working afs
server and client implementation exists for FreeBSD 6.2 or higher,
preferably as a port or in the base system. Those involved in the
implementation will have a say in which project or individual the money
will go.

And please if others are intrested in increasing the bounty, do so!

 	/Chris

--

www.infotropic.com