nnpfs/xfs_message.h documentation

Kristaps Johnson kristaps at gradient-enterprises.com
Wed Jun 21 16:37:11 CEST 2006

>> Hello everybody.  Does anybody know of API documentation for the
>> nnpfs_message/attr.h (xfs_*.h on some unices) files?
>>
> Not really.  In arla/doc/nnpfs.txt there's are slightly outdated
> descriptions of the messages.  There's also a dot file describing the
> various states that nodes can be in in Arla: [snip]
> And 'The life of a file' in arla.info for an overview.
>
> Often there are details in these docs that aren't valid any more, and
> some omissions.  Please let me know what you find, nagging actually does
> help :)

Tomas, excellent pointers.

>> I'm implementing the xfs char-device with a non-arla superstructure.
>>
> Nice.  As always, I'm very curious about such things.  How much can you
> tell us?

I can tell all!  The project is called `rfs', a BSD-licensed replicating
fs protocol.  I'll have rfs's project page available when I've enough code
to give the project substance.  Details on theory, implementation and
structure shall be member to the page.  In brief, I'm writing a simple
replicating protocol that provides an efficient, secure means of
replicating data across a small number of local and off-site hosts.

> I'm sure there are more things that need clarification; just ask.

Thank you!  I'm sure I'll pester you with questions and hopefully raise
some bug reports.

> /t (wants a lib that isolates daemon writers from nnpfs details)

Care to talk specifications?  Since I'm in the early stages of
implementation, taking extra time to contribute a well-documented library
would benefit us all.

Take care,
   Kristaps