roken and heimdal dependencies

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Tue Nov 15 14:59:12 CET 2005

"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
> Generically I would prefer that Arla be "self contained" so I don't
> need to install another package as a prerequisite.  I happen to like
> Heimdal a bit better than MIT, but not enough to bother installing
> Heimdal if MIT is already there.

The main problem is that Arla currently does not contain kafs, the
kerberos-afs glue. It's in heimdal (and it sounds like it will stay there),
but not in MIT kerberos. There is one in OpenAFS. And possibly krbafs. Any
other ones out there, Red Hat perhaps?

The proper solution would probably be to make it possible to build the
interesting libraries separately from the rest of heimdal in some way. It
seems heimdal's kafs depends on a few heimdal specific things, but I expect
that it some day will be possible to link kafs with other kerberos
implementations.

One could of course fix up kafs from heimdal and copy it into the Arla
tree, but given the troubles of maintaining libraries in two places I'd
rather not do that.

One way or the another, you will need a libkafs for the token handling and
'fs' commands to work. Since the local users all like heimdal and that's
what I use, I'll depend on you all to tell me which options work and what
needs fixing.

Thanks for all feedback, I appreciate it.  I'll get you a tarball to try
out fairly soon, for those of you who don't like cvs :)

/t