What about adding --dereference to tar?

Anders Selander selander at pdc.kth.se
Mon May 9 21:55:07 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 12:25:49PM +0200, Anders Selander wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 12:14:48PM +0200, Harald Barth wrote:
> > > torkel's debian packages built under Ubuntu
> > > were all arla 0.38, so I set out to compile arla 0.39 myself. I
> > > already had installed heimdal,
> > Is there any new and improved heimdal package in Ubuntu or is it the
> > same old and misconfigured cruft as in Debian? Kerberos v4 is so
> > last century.
> I did not find any heimdal at all in the default Ubuntu repositories,
> so I compiled 0.6.4 from PDC.

... and in order to get heimdal to compile cleanly, I had to install
the ncurses-dev packages, some yacc and lex (byacc and flex), and add
a pair of missing terminating ":s to a heimdal file.

> > > so I quickly found out that I needed
> > > to install libssl and the linux-headers matching my current kernel
> > > (it seems I still needed to give CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL and
> > > LDFLAGS=-lssl to configure in order to get different portions of
> > > arla to build).
> > Should not be needed with a modern configuted heimdal 0.6.4.
> Interesting, perhaps I should go back and give more detailed information
> of what subparts of the arla compilation that fails without the
> ssl-stuff and just heimdal 0.6.4 (which arla's autoconfigure script
> does find).

Now done. In /afs/pdc.kth.se/home/s/selander/Public/arla resides
information (output of both configure and make, as well as commands
typed) for two runs. The first with the error of both a plain
./configure and a ./configure --without-krb4: a syntax error before
DES_cblock in krb4-protos.h, included from krb4.h, included from
rxk_serv.c in rxkad (solved by CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL). The second with
the results of CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL ./configure: typical ld
'undefined reference' problems in appl/kalog (undefined reference to
`DES_*', solved by LDFLAGS=-lssl).

> > > However, I ran into the problem that arla's build
> > > process copied the relative symb-links of my /lib/modules/.../build
> > > rather than the files they actually points to. Judging by the
> > > web-archive of this mailing-list, this is not uncommon. So, my
> > > question is, would it be possible to just add --dereference, at
> > > least to the
> > >   tar -c --dereference init scripts Makefile arch .config include
> > > Module.s ymvers | \
> > >   tar -x -C $(CURDIR)/kernel-source-tree.tmp
> > > line in nnpfs/linux/Makefile(.in)? I mean, I believe that the purpose
> > > of autoconfigure is to figure out if the system at hand has got a tar
> > > version with the right capabilities, isn't it?
> > I'd say we can assume that tar has "-h", don't we? I don't know how
> > common the --flags stuff is (but this is in the Linux part so it
> > probably does not matter).
> -h, --dereference - what's the difference? ;-) And, yes, it might be
> an option available in virtually any tar version.

And for the record, in the second test run above, I used -h and not
--dereference to get past nnpfs to appl/kalog.

mvh /Selander