What about adding --dereference to tar?

Anders Selander selander at pdc.kth.se
Mon May 9 12:26:00 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 12:14:48PM +0200, Harald Barth wrote:
> > would it be impractical to add a tactical --dereference to tar in
> > the Makefile (Makefile.in) in nnpfs/linux?
> I don't think it would harm more than some extra disk blocks. Fine
> with me.

;-)

> > torkel's debian packages built under Ubuntu
> > were all arla 0.38, so I set out to compile arla 0.39 myself. I
> > already had installed heimdal,
> Is there any new and improved heimdal package in Ubuntu or is it the
> same old and misconfigured cruft as in Debian? Kerberos v4 is so
> last century.

I did not find any heimdal at all in the default Ubuntu repositories,
so I compiled 0.6.4 from PDC.

> > so I quickly found out that I needed
> > to install libssl and the linux-headers matching my current kernel
> > (it seems I still needed to give CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL and
> > LDFLAGS=-lssl to configure in order to get different portions of
> > arla to build).
> Should not be needed with a modern configuted heimdal 0.6.4.

Interesting, perhaps I should go back and give more detailed information
of what subparts of the arla compilation that fails without the
ssl-stuff and just heimdal 0.6.4 (which arla's autoconfigure script
does find).

> > However, I ran into the problem that arla's build
> > process copied the relative symb-links of my /lib/modules/.../build
> > rather than the files they actually points to. Judging by the
> > web-archive of this mailing-list, this is not uncommon. So, my
> > question is, would it be possible to just add --dereference, at
> > least to the
> >   tar -c --dereference init scripts Makefile arch .config include
> > Module.s ymvers | \
> >   tar -x -C $(CURDIR)/kernel-source-tree.tmp
> > line in nnpfs/linux/Makefile(.in)? I mean, I believe that the purpose
> > of autoconfigure is to figure out if the system at hand has got a tar
> > version with the right capabilities, isn't it?
> I'd say we can assume that tar has "-h", don't we? I don't know how
> common the --flags stuff is (but this is in the Linux part so it
> probably does not matter).

-h, --dereference - what's the difference? ;-) And, yes, it might be
an option available in virtually any tar version.

Regards /Selander