What about adding --dereference to tar?

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Mon May 9 12:14:36 CEST 2005

> would it be impractical to add a tactical --dereference to tar in
> the Makefile (Makefile.in) in nnpfs/linux?

I don't think it would harm more than some extra disk blocks. Fine
with me.

> The last couple of days, I have been playing around with the Ubuntu
> linux dist on a spare laptop, and, as you all know, no system is
> complete without afs.

:->

> torkel's debian packages built under Ubuntu
> were all arla 0.38, so I set out to compile arla 0.39 myself. I
> already had installed heimdal,

Is there any new and improved heimdal package in Ubuntu or is it the
same old and misconfigured cruft as in Debian? Kerberos v4 is so
last century.

> so I quickly found out that I needed
> to install libssl and the linux-headers matching my current kernel
> (it seems I still needed to give CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL and
> LDFLAGS=-lssl to configure in order to get different portions of
> arla to build).

Should not be needed with a modern configuted heimdal 0.6.4.

> However, I ran into the problem that arla's build
> process copied the relative symb-links of my /lib/modules/.../build
> rather than the files they actually points to. Judging by the
> web-archive of this mailing-list, this is not uncommon. So, my
> question is, would it be possible to just add --dereference, at
> least to the
>
>   tar -c --dereference init scripts Makefile arch .config include
> Module.s ymvers | \
>   tar -x -C $(CURDIR)/kernel-source-tree.tmp
>
> line in nnpfs/linux/Makefile(.in)? I mean, I believe that the purpose
> of autoconfigure is to figure out if the system at hand has got a tar
> version with the right capabilities, isn't it?

I'd say we can assume that tar has "-h", don't we? I don't know how
common the --flags stuff is (but this is in the Linux part so it
probably does not matter).

Harald.