What about adding --dereference to tar?

Anders Selander selander at pdc.kth.se
Sat May 7 20:26:52 CEST 2005

Hello ladies and guys,

would it be impractical to add a tactical --dereference to tar in
the Makefile (Makefile.in) in nnpfs/linux?

The last couple of days, I have been playing around with the Ubuntu
linux dist on a spare laptop, and, as you all know, no system is
complete without afs. torkel's debian packages built under Ubuntu
were all arla 0.38, so I set out to compile arla 0.39 myself. I
already had installed heimdal, so I quickly found out that I needed
to install libssl and the linux-headers matching my current kernel
(it seems I still needed to give CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL and
LDFLAGS=-lssl to configure in order to get different portions of
arla to build). However, I ran into the problem that arla's build
process copied the relative symb-links of my /lib/modules/.../build
rather than the files they actually points to. Judging by the
web-archive of this mailing-list, this is not uncommon. So, my
question is, would it be possible to just add --dereference, at
least to the

  tar -c --dereference init scripts Makefile arch .config include
Module.s ymvers | \
  tar -x -C $(CURDIR)/kernel-source-tree.tmp

line in nnpfs/linux/Makefile(.in)? I mean, I believe that the purpose
of autoconfigure is to figure out if the system at hand has got a tar
version with the right capabilities, isn't it?

Just my two cents, regards /Selander, happy to have afs ;-)
Anders Selander   Centre for Parallel Computers   selander at pdc.kth.se
Programmer        Royal Institute of Technology   +46 (0)8  790 72 11
                  SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN    +46 (0)70 266 29 67