arla on dual amd 64-bit

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu Aug 11 15:13:11 CEST 2005

<<On 10 Aug 2005 23:23:36 +0200, Rasmus Kaj <kaj at kth.se> said:

> Ok.  Regardless of the faking, how good a job does it do trying to
> find one?  I can see it finding out where the kernel sources should be
> (setting SYSDIR), and I can see it including opt_global.h from
> KERNBUILDDIR if set, but KERNBUILDDIR doesn't seem to get set.

Right, you need to set KERNBUILDDIR based on what the user tells you.
Usually it will be /usr/src/sys/${arch}/compile/${KERNCONF}.

> KERNBUILDDIR when running bsd make on FreeBSD-Makefile.  I seem to be
> able to get the directory from `uname -v | sed -e 's/.*://'`, but that
> sounds a bit like a hack ...

Don't try to do that.  Just let the admin supply the proper value.
(That way you can build a module for one kernel on a machine running
another.)  The GENERIC defaults are OK for anyone who isn't trying to
debug Arla, and there's already a standard way for those people to
configure ports with kernel modules properly.

-GAWollman