arla 0.35.11 and MacOS 10.2 finder regression?

Thomas Jordan jordant at fnal.gov
Fri Dec 20 23:43:42 CET 2002

Hi Aaron,

I have installed 0.35.11 on several machines and have not noticed this
issue. It may have happened for a bit on one machine, but I turned to
something else and it went away. The Finder could only have "looked"
for < 1 minute before responding well.

Did you remember to change /usr/arla/etc/ThisCell to your local cell? I
think that the installer writes a new one containing stacken.kth.se.
Mine reads:

	[dix:~] jordant% more /usr/arla/etc/ThisCell
	fnal.gov

Does yours read umich.edu? If you are getting tokens, then ThisCell
must be right. Perhaps that is not it....

While the beach ball is spinning, run top and look for the process
using up all of the cycles. Is it arlad or the Finder?

What happens when you force quit the finder and then poll afs again?
Same hang-up?

Among the machines that runs arla well is this old, dinged up
Wallstreet so it shouldn't be related to your hardware. What happens if
you just let the Finder poll for a while? Does it stop after several
minutes? ...at all?

Which OS X are you running? I have 10.2.3 (Darwin Kernel 6.3) now but
this was also working well in 10.2.2.

Best regards,
	Tom

--