Arla and OS X 10.1

Magnus Ahltorp ahltorp at nada.kth.se
Sun Sep 30 18:27:39 CEST 2001

> Anyone aware of any problems? It has been working great for me on
> 10.0.4. I did a clean install of OS X 10.1 (re-formatted drive) but am
> unable to get Arla+athena to work. I have the latest (OS X) packages
> for both.

Yes, Apple has made changes in 10.1 that make kernel modules
incompatible. I have fixed those problems in the 0.35 branch and
current, but we haven't made a release that contains those fixes.

You also need to give the argument --disable-mmap to configure, since
mmap in 10.1 is broken.

You can test the 0.35.6pre8 snapshot:
ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/snap/arla-0.35.6pre8.tar.gz

Also, you should run "/usr/sbin/disktool -r" instead of the old
disktool command. The old disktool command was just a guess from my
side, since Apple didn't document what had to be done.

> I even managed to get kernel panics a few times trying to issue the
> startarla commands one-at-a-time.

Don't try to use a kernel module that you compiled on 10.0 on 10.1. It
doesn't work.

/Magnus