Arla and OS X 10.1

Greg Welch welch at cs.unc.edu
Sun Sep 30 16:18:11 CEST 2001

Anyone aware of any problems? It has been working great for me on
10.0.4. I did a clean install of OS X 10.1 (re-formatted drive) but am
unable to get Arla+athena to work. I have the latest (OS X) packages for
both.

When I tell Arla to "start" w/ the GUI, it sits for a long time w/ the
button in the constant blue state, then reverts to the normal grey
state, but AFS is off.  I assume there is some error occurring that I
can't see. I tried starting manually from the command line using the
startarla script after a clean boot:

[mac-welch-home:/usr/arla/sbin] root# startarla
[mac-welch-home:/usr/arla/sbin] root# /usr/sbin/disktool -a xfs /afs 0
Cannot find device /dev/xfs

I even managed to get kernel panics a few times trying to issue the
startarla commands one-at-a-time.

I am working from the nice instructions provided by our Bil Hays at UNC:
http://www.ibiblio.org/macsupport/osx_arla.html. I might have screwed up
the installation (this was the first of three machines converting to
10.1) but I wondered if anyone knew of anything unusual w/ 10.1, or if
anyone else had been successful w/ 10.1. I had no trouble w / the same
instructions on OS X 10.0.x.

Thanks.

--Greg