Arla and OSX 10.1

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 10 22:26:59 CEST 2001

At 1:53 PM -0400 10/10/01, Aaron Rosenblum wrote:
>  >Sorry, you also need to give the arguments "--with-krb4=/usr/athena
>>--without-krb5" to configure if you have installed kth-krb in
>>/usr/athena. This disables the Kerberos 5 that comes with Mac OS X.
>
>Does this mean that Arla does not work with the Kerberos5
>implementation that MIT provides with MacOS X 10.1?  What about the
>aklog program they provide to 'convert' tokens?  I too would like to
>get AFS up an running in MacOS 10.1, but I am still a little
>confused on how to do so with the MIT kerberos.

No, it doesn't, but because the OSX K5 implementation can't use a
Transarc kerberos server, not because arla can't use the built-in K5.
You need to install kth-krb and use without-kerb5 and
with-kerb4=/usr/local/... to build an arla that will work.

Of course the right solution is to get your AFS server folks to
implement a kerberos 5 server in place of the Transarc one.  I
haven't managed that yet.

In fact I may not manage it at all because one of the big AFS users
is probably switching to NFS.  |-(