Arla and OSX 10.1

Aaron Rosenblum arosenbl at mac.com
Wed Oct 10 23:24:23 CEST 2001

On Wednesday, October 10, 2001, at 04:26 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 1:53 PM -0400 10/10/01, Aaron Rosenblum wrote:
>>  >Sorry, you also need to give the arguments "--with-krb4=/usr/athena
>>> --without-krb5" to configure if you have installed kth-krb in
>>> /usr/athena. This disables the Kerberos 5 that comes with Mac OS X.
>>
>> Does this mean that Arla does not work with the Kerberos5
>> implementation that MIT provides with MacOS X 10.1?  What about the
>> aklog program they provide to 'convert' tokens?  I too would like to
>> get AFS up an running in MacOS 10.1, but I am still a little confused
>> on how to do so with the MIT kerberos.
>
> No, it doesn't, but because the OSX K5 implementation can't use a
> Transarc kerberos server, not because arla can't use the built-in K5.
> You need to install kth-krb and use without-kerb5 and with-
> kerb4=/usr/local/... to build an arla that will work.
>
> Of course the right solution is to get your AFS server folks to
> implement a kerberos 5 server in place of the Transarc one.  I haven't
> managed that yet.
>
> In fact I may not manage it at all because one of the big AFS users is
> probably switching to NFS.  |-(

Ok, well, when I authenticate at our site I see both Kerb4 and Kerb5
tickets in the MIT Kerberos Application.  So, following the directions
mentioned earlier in this thread, I should be able to get Arla working
on 10.1 if I also install Athena?  Does Arla have the same issues that
OpenAFS has with MacOS X?  As I recall we had to change our local uid
and run the windowserver in a special way so that the Finder could see
the AFS volumes.  (As opposed to just the command line apps).

thanks

Aaron Rosenblum
University of Michigan