Bugs in Arla 0.35.4pre7 and other newer stuff on MacOS X.

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 6 01:14:58 CEST 2001

At 7:40 PM +0200 6/5/01, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
> > 2) In arla...pre5 through ...pre7 there is an ln -sf command in
> > appl/mac/Arla_Configuration/Makefile.in that needs to be deleted or
> > the build will fail.  It creates circular links that delete the actual
> > files you want which are already there.  I solved it by installing
> > ...pre4, but one of my other converts reports the build works if you
> > just delete it.
>
>Yes, building in the source tree is not supported on Mac OS X. This
>will be fixed someday, but please build outside of the tree, it's what
>we do.

OK, that works.  I even get an Arla Configuration application
installed in the top-level of the --prefix location specified to
configure.

Unfortunately, the app seems to only be able to stop arla, nothing
else, on my machine.  It just crashes.  I first suspected this was
because I had already put some stuff into /Library/StartupItems/Arla
to make AFS start during boot.  However inspecting the console log I
see attempts to access /usr/arla/...  There is no such directory
because I used --prefix=/usr/local with configure (just as I had for
kth-krb and postgresql).

I hope that obeying the configure directive will justify a ...pre9 version.

At 11:00 PM +0200 6/5/01, Harald Barth wrote:
> >Don't use pre2. Use the latest pre version, or when the release is
> >out, that version. There are severe bugs in the earlier versions of
> >0.35. If you get that with pre8, I'd like to hear about it.
>
>Everything in 0.35.4 up to and including pre4 should be updated as
>soon as you can, pre5 and newer is not so critical (I say today ;-)

I'll have to go back to the guy I put ...pre4 on.  Oh, well. . .

Again, thanks for all the great stuff.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.
h.b.hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu