Bugs in Arla 0.35.4pre7 and other newer stuff on MacOS X.

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 5 19:56:46 CEST 2001

At 7:40 PM +0200 6/5/01, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
> > 2) In arla...pre5 through ...pre7 there is an ln -sf command in
> > appl/mac/Arla_Configuration/Makefile.in that needs to be deleted or
> > the build will fail.  It creates circular links that delete the actual
> > files you want which are already there.  I solved it by installing
> > ...pre4, but one of my other converts reports the build works if you
> > just delete it.
>
>Yes, building in the source tree is not supported on Mac OS X. This
>will be fixed someday, but please build outside of the tree, it's what
>we do.

I'll tell you the same thing I told the gcc folks:  It's what we all
expect to do.  In fact our expectations were created largely by the
documented install procedure for gcc itself so I don't think they
have your excuse.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

> > 3) I don't know if this is a real Arla problem, but I'll report it
> > anyway:  I'm still using ...pre2 on MacOS 10.0.3.  I edited a shell
> > script in vi.  Tried it;  needed more changes.  Went to re-edit it and
> > the changes did not show.  Did a more on it and the changes were
> > there.  vi again, still not there.  Moved to a non'AFS directory to
> > finish the task.
>
>Don't use pre2. Use the latest pre version, or when the release is
>out, that version. There are severe bugs in the earlier versions of
>0.35. If you get that with pre8, I'd like to hear about it.

Understood.  Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Thanks for all the great work guys!

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.
h.b.hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu