arla doesn't realize network is back up

brians+@yardarm.fac.cs.cmu.edu brians+ at yardarm.fac.cs.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 15 05:53:51 CEST 2001

Sometimes, when I've been using arla for a while and the (dial-up) connection
goes down, and I bring it back up, arla doesn't seem to notice that the
connection is back up.  It seems to "cache" that certain files have a status
of "Network is down".  I've tried unmounting /afs, killing arlad and rmmod-ing
xfs and deleting /usr/arla/cache/* and that actually seems to make the situation
worse.  At that point the only thing that seems to fix it is leaving the arla
client off for about 15 minutes for some sort of cache (which I can't find) to
expire.
So, my question is, when the connection goes down and comes back up, is there
some straightforward way of telling arla to start from scratch entirely as
if it was started from the first time?