Startup item for Arla on MacOS X

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Mon Apr 16 22:47:20 CEST 2001

Harald Barth <haba at pdc.kth.se> writes:

> > The effect of the second line seems to be to cache the entries in the
> > toplevel /afs directory,
>
> This is probably a side effect. The solution for you is to edit the
> CellServDB file to only contain the cells that are visible for you
> anyway. However, if you have your own cell in ThisCell, arla should
> look at your root.cell volume that probably is not very populated
> anyway. Or am I missing something here? However, trimming CellServDB
> should do the trick.

You can also try the option --fake-mp to arlad, this make arlad fake
information for the mountpoints before you really need it.

Oh, wait, that didn't work, since the file-browser looked after a
.something file/directory in the each directory. Of a couse we could fake
that too, but we never figured out how and why file/directory was stat()ed.

Magnus, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would suggest instead of trimming CellServDB you should trim you
root.afs, or create a root.afs.macos that only contained local cells. This
is since arlad will use DNS information if avaible (like for all kth afs
sites), and you'll still have the waiting time.