failure of rpm build

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Sep 21 04:33:15 CEST 2000

On 20 Sep 2000, Love wrote:

Hi Love,

(Is this your first or last name?)

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:
>
> > I have been trying to build an arla rpm on SuSE 6.2. I found a spec file
> > which seems to be the least Redhat like of all the spec files I have
> > seen.
>
> Is that good or bad :)

Well, since I am using SuSE, I don't really want a rpm which assumes I am
using Redhat, that is all. The other two rpms of arla available (one
buildrooted, one not) both are RH rpms. No criticism of Redhat intended.
:-)

> > It was buried inside the conf directory in the source 0.33.1
> > distribution. I have made a minor change to the following to conform with
> > SuSE:
> >
> > #mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d
> > mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d
> > cp xfs/linux/bin/arla $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d/arla
> > chmod 555 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d/arla
> >
> > (it originally installed $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d  in
> > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d). Otherwise, I have left it
> > untouched.
>
> Ok, I just removed that since the Makefile now does that instead (fixed it
> just).

Um, what did you remove? There was no problem here.

> > Now, when I try to build the rpm (naturally, I do not do this under root),
> > the build exits with the following error message:
> >
> > Can someone tell me what is going on, and how to fix it? I am not even
> > sure what the install script is trying to do. Needless to say, I really,
> > really don't want to build the rpm as root.
>
> Oh, that is some lossage from me. I didn't use DESTDIR as I'm supposed to
> use. Have fixed that now.

Can you tell me what you changed?

> If you don't want to build it as root, you'll need some more magic that I
> don't know how to write to make rpm ignore the owner of the file and use
> root instead.

If I understand you correctly, this is not a problem, since I can set the
owners/permissions of the files in the %files secion of the spec file
using %defattr and %attr.

Does this mean I am the first person to ever try to build an arla rpm as a
user?

> Can you test it from the cvs-tree ?

Er, I'm sorry to be displaying my ignorance like this, but I took a look
at the source tree on the web page, and got a litle lost. Each file seems
to be listed seperately! Can you tell me what I need to do to get the
updated tar.gz file? Or better still, send me the source (which I assumed
is what you changed). I know nothing about CVS, and while I am very
willing to learn, sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by all the
technicalities.

I tried the command listed on the web page ( cvs -R -d
/afs/stacken.kth.se/src/SourceRepository checkout arla ), and cvs spat at
me, saying there was not option -R (maybe I have an outdated version of
cvs).

Thank you for the fast response. Are you the person who is currently
maintaining arla, or is there a group of you?

I hope that with the help of this mailing list I will be able to get this
working soon. Arla looks like a really cool program!

                             Best regards, Faheem Mitha.