failure of rpm build

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed Sep 20 21:13:45 CEST 2000

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> I have been trying to build an arla rpm on SuSE 6.2. I found a spec file
> which seems to be the least Redhat like of all the spec files I have
> seen.

Is that good or bad :)

> It was buried inside the conf directory in the source 0.33.1
> distribution. I have made a minor change to the following to conform with
> SuSE:
>
> #mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d
> mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d
> cp xfs/linux/bin/arla $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d/arla
> chmod 555 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/sbin/init.d/arla
>
> (it originally installed $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d  in
> $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/rc.d/init.d). Otherwise, I have left it
> untouched.

Ok, I just removed that since the Makefile now does that instead (fixed it
just).

> Now, when I try to build the rpm (naturally, I do not do this under root),
> the build exits with the following error message:
>
> Can someone tell me what is going on, and how to fix it? I am not even
> sure what the install script is trying to do. Needless to say, I really,
> really don't want to build the rpm as root.

Oh, that is some lossage from me. I didn't use DESTDIR as I'm supposed to
use. Have fixed that now.

If you don't want to build it as root, you'll need some more magic that I
don't know how to write to make rpm ignore the owner of the file and use
root instead.

Can you test it from the cvs-tree ?