arla Debian package

Mikael Vidstedt mikeee at stacken.kth.se
Wed Oct 25 11:16:56 CEST 2000

> Maybe I can help?

You sure can. Adrian Bridgett started helping me out with the packaging of
arla, and got as far as the compilation stage of the xfs module when I
guess time got short and problems arose.

> > Apart from this, there are some points where arla will not comply with
> > debian standards (Gregory Stark has listed some of them in one of the
> > files in the old arla package (eg. the "fs" command is a two-letter
> > command)).
>
> So is "ls" :)

Yes. And as Stark states, it will not be possible to change the name of
the command, since it is too wide-spread already.

> I've talked to you just a few weeks ago and I thought you were still going
> to do it.  If not I would be willing to do it.
>
> I've also talked to Stark and he thought that it would be great if I took
> over the package.  But that was before I knew you where doing it.
>
> Who are the other people??
> Can you send me what you have so far?
> I think I could start by creating the package and then signing up as a
> debian new maintainer.

Among the people I have been in contact with are Gregory Stark, Adrian
Bridgett, you (Erik Bågfors that is) and now apparantly Falk
Hueffner. Stark no longer has the time to keep the package up-to-date.
Bridgett is (or at least was) not completely uninterested in maintaining
it, but has quite a few other packages to manage and is happy if
somebody else has the time to deal with it instead (as I understood it).

The way I see it, there are nowadays other people that are probably more
skilled (wouldn't be hard) and more interested in maintaining the package
than I am. My energy ran out sometime during the New Maintainer Process.
Again though, I will not be the one choosing a person to maintain the
package.

<sigh>
Too bad I'll probably never even make it through the whole process, even
though I've been in it for quite a while now...
</sigh>

/Mikael