arla Debian package

Adrian Bridgett adrian.bridgett at iname.com
Wed Oct 25 21:32:31 CEST 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 11:16:37 +0200 (+0000), Mikael Vidstedt wrote:

> > Maybe I can help?
>
> You sure can. Adrian Bridgett started helping me out with the packaging of
> arla, and got as far as the compilation stage of the xfs module when I
> guess time got short and problems arose.

I intended to get that bit done during the holiday I'm currently on, but
unfortunately I started to play Deus Ex and ....

The problem I've got is that although I can produce an arla-modules-source
package and an arla packages (which contains the binaries).  I can't get the
source package working properly.  I need to put more of the configuration
stuff into the modules-source package until it will build properly.

I've got the diff upto that point if anyone wants it.

> > > Apart from this, there are some points where arla will not comply with
> > > debian standards (Gregory Stark has listed some of them in one of the
> > > files in the old arla package (eg. the "fs" command is a two-letter
> > > command)).
> >
> > So is "ls" :)
>
> Yes. And as Stark states, it will not be possible to change the name of
> the command, since it is too wide-spread already.

fs is a standard already so it's okay.  The policy to really there to stop
people packaging new programs caled "rn" or something :)

> Bridgett is (or at least was) not completely uninterested in maintaining
> it, but has quite a few other packages to manage and is happy if
> somebody else has the time to deal with it instead (as I understood it).

yep :)

I work at IBM (unfortunately not in a Linux role yet :() and Debian isn't
really an IBM supported platform.  I've got (old) debs of the transarc stuff
where I completely redid the layout to make it FHS compliant.  Hmmm -
openAFS - maybe I should revisit those debs again :)

To be frank, I'm much happier with arla since it has a much, much smaller
kernel module (50k vs 500k roughly).  The only snag is the lack of partial
file caching - it's a pain when you are pulling an ISO image off AFS :)

Adrian

Email: adrian.bridgett at iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. GPG/PGP keys available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-  By professionals for professionals  -*-  www.debian.org