arla Debian package

Erik Bågfors bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Wed Oct 25 10:46:16 CEST 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 09:21:57AM +0200, Mikael Vidstedt wrote:

> > > since the arla package in Debian is currently in an unusable state, I
> > > considered doing my own. I have some questions for this:
> >
> > We have talked to some lokal (debian)people to take it over, but it never
> > have happened.
>
> It has been a rather lengthy process, since I wasn't a debian developer
> and had to get through the New Maintainer Process(tm). Now that I'm
> finally half way through the process, I've realized that my experience
> with building debian packages is not that big, and I'm really awaiting
> some help from other people right now.

Maybe I can help?

> The main problem is not to create the binary packages (arla & xfs.o) (some
> minor changes are made to the arla source). The problem is building the
> arla source package and making the xfs-module compile with whatever kernel
> is installed. This is an area where my lack of skill is total, since I
> seldom use the kernel-source packages in debian at all.
>
> Apart from this, there are some points where arla will not comply with
> debian standards (Gregory Stark has listed some of them in one of the
> files in the old arla package (eg. the "fs" command is a two-letter
> command)).

So is "ls" :)

> I am, however, starting to realize that my personal interest in the arla
> debian package is starting to disappear due to the long period of
> nothingness, and that it's perhaps better that somebody that has the skill
> and understanding of the complete debian distribution takes charge of the
> package instead.
>
> I do know that there are many people interested in taking over arla the
> arla package, and I am not the person to pick one (or more) of them.

I've talked to you just a few weeks ago and I thought you were still going
to do it.  If not I would be willing to do it.

I've also talked to Stark and he thought that it would be great if I took
over the package.  But that was before I knew you where doing it.

Who are the other people??

Can you send me what you have so far?

I think I could start by creating the package and then signing up as a
debian new maintainer.

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | Center for Parallel Computers
http://erik.bagfors.nu/    | http://www.pdc.kth.se/
erik at bagfors.nu            | bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 70 398 54 43
fingerprint: 6666 A85B 95D3 D26B 296B 6C60 4F32 2C0B 693D 6E32