Trouble with system hangups / uninstall

Assar Westerlund assar at stacken.kth.se
Sun May 14 04:25:33 CEST 2000

Christian Ospelkaus <christian at core-coutainville.org> writes:
> Hi,

Hello.

> I have little problem with arla. I played around with it a bit
> (downloaded, compiled and installed krb4-1.0.1 and arla-0.32) and played
> a bit with it. However, since I installed it, I experience severe system
> hangups ~ once per day (No ping possible, mouse does not move, no entry
> in /var/log/messages).

It's not to clear to me why that would be happening.  Either building
in a kernel debugger or sysrq support in your kernel and trying to see
what happens when your system `hangs' would probably be good ways of
continuing to trace this.

> Removing krb with make uninstall was ok, but make uninstall for arla
> did not work, so I removed /usr/arla and /usr/athena.

`make uninstall' does forget to remove a few files, but since `make
install' only installs files in $prefix (by default `/usr/arla'), just
removing them should be ok.

> I also replaced /etc/services by a backup copy, but the strange hangups
> still occur.

> Is it possible that I must remove some other files?

No.  Did you reboot or remove the xfs kernel module?  Run `lsmod' to
see if the xfs kernel module is still loaded.

But after a reboot, no traces of the code should be left in kernel memory.

> Are some system binaries replaced by the install process?

No.

> (I am using SuSE 6.3 and linux-2.2.15). This problem is not
> neccessarily related to arla; I just want to be sure...

It's really hard to say why your get system hangups, without tracing
it further.  But if you still get it after having uninstalled arla and
rebooted, I cannot see how it can be Arla that's causing them.

/assar