Trouble with system hangups / uninstall

Christian Ospelkaus christian at core-coutainville.org
Mon May 15 07:57:43 CEST 2000

Assar Westerlund wrote:

> It's not to clear to me why that would be happening.  Either building
> in a kernel debugger or sysrq support in your kernel and trying to see
> what happens when your system `hangs' would probably be good ways of
> continuing to trace this.

I have got the impression that it is a problem with kdm. We'll try xdm
instead.

> `make uninstall' does forget to remove a few files, but since `make
> install' only installs files in $prefix (by default `/usr/arla'), just
> removing them should be ok.

This is what I did, so there should not be annything left.

> No.  Did you reboot or remove the xfs kernel module?  Run `lsmod' to
> see if the xfs kernel module is still loaded.

Of course I rebooted after the crash ;-) I did not put a modprobe into
any of the init-scripts anyway, so the module was certainly not loaded.
Nevertheless I verified with lsmod, but there was no xfs.o Anyway this
problem is probably not related to arla - I just wanted to make sure.

> It's really hard to say why your get system hangups, without tracing
> it further.  But if you still get it after having uninstalled arla and
> rebooted, I cannot see how it can be Arla that's causing them.

Probably it isn't.

I just noticed some problems in the Makefiles generated by arla's
configure script - when the Makefiles cd to a subdir, they check if the
make uninstall was successfull and do not proceed any further if they
encounter a problem. Maybe this can be avoided.

Thanks for the reply,

Christian

christian at core-coutainville.org
http://www.core-coutainville.org/christian/