Some problems with arla

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Fri Mar 24 21:09:45 CET 2000

Christoph Wissing <wissing at mail.desy.de> writes:

> 1.) Access other suites
> When I get arla running I cannot access other AFS domains. Only the files
> that are hosted on desy.de are visible. All machines that I am using are
> sitting behind a fire wall. Could this influence this point?

Yes, port 4711,7000-7013/udp (really 4711,7000-7004) must be open in your
firewall. That is the ports afs uses. 4711 is the port arla binds too (and
the server send back callbacks to. You can change that by starting arla
with --port=7001).

If you try to run `udebug -server milko.stacken.kth.se -port 7004'
you should get output like this:

: lha at nutcracker ; udebug -server milko.stacken.kth.se -port 7004
Host 130.237.234.3 time is Fri Mar 24 21:03:30 2000
Localtime is Fri Mar 24 21:02:48 2000, differ 42 seconds
Last yes vote for 130.237.234.3 secs was 12 ago (at Fri Mar 24 21:03:18 2000)
Last vote started 12 secs ago (at Fri Mar 24 21:03:18 2000)
[...]

> 2.) Arla stops with an assertion-error
> After upgarding to arla-0.3x I cannot start the arlad in normal mode:
> arlad: fcache.c:862: unlink_lru_entry: Assertion `!listemptyp (lrulist)'
> failed.
>
> Just commenting out two assert() leads to a segmentation fault.

The problem is that the code that support storeing cache when stoping and
reloading it when starting doesn't do right all the time. Start arlad with
-z (or remove /usr/arla/cache) and the problem will go away.

> 3.) Arla on NetBSD m68k
> Yeah, you see I like very special OSs. While athena compiled smoothly one
> my Amiga(!) the xfs part of arla cause some trouble. Since this is just
> for I won't go into details but is there someone who has arla running on
> m68k NetBSD system.

It should work, the part that might cause problem is lwp, but since you
have passed that when building (it died on xfs). Could you please mail us
the output so we might figure out what is wrong (what version of netbsd are
you using ?).