problem compiling arla-0.34.1

Bernhard Mogens Ege bme at vision.auc.dk
Thu Aug 17 17:35:34 CEST 2000

> I have build current arla on a gcc-2.96 computer (redhat-6.9.5, aka
> pinstripe).

> If you can ssh out you can use:

> env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs.stacken.kth.se:/stacken-cvs checkout arla

> If not, there is snapshot for you at:

> ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/snap/arla-pinstripe.tar.gz

I finally managed to use cvs locally to checkout arla using a middle
machine (a proxy if you will). Here is the magic (for me anyway):
(local machine=overmind, proxy=aegir).

root at overmind: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd stop
root at overmind (seperate window): ssh -L 22:anoncvs.stacken.kth.se:22 aegir (logs in as normal user, not root)
any at overmind: CVS_RSH=ssh CVSROOT=anoncvs at localhost:/stacken-cvs cvs co arla
any at aegir: exit (no need for this shell)
root at overmind: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start

If I use rsh instead of ssh (and loop port 514 instead of 22), I get
this wierd message from rsh:

poll: protocol failure in circuit setup

I dont know what to do with it, but ssh did work. rsh works directly
from aegir. Guess it doesn't like to be looped.

Maybe this could help someone in a similar situation.

regards,

Bernhard Ege