Odd bug in arla-0.27 on linux (i386) 2.2.12

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz+ at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 3 20:45:19 CEST 1999

On Friday, September 03, 1999, 3:21 PM +0100 Dr A V Le Blanc
<LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Here is an odd problem:
>
> avl 14:52:12 > cat /usr/arla/etc/ThisCell
> mcc.ac.gb
> avl 14:52:50 > cat /etc/krb.realms
> mcc.ac.gb       MCC.AC.GB
> .mcc.ac.gb      MCC.AC.GB
> avl 15:19:30 > vos exa user.zlsiial
> Can't get a ticket for realm MCC.AC.UK: No ticket file (tf_util)
> user.zlsiial                     536871027 RW   106303 K  On-line
>     rock.mcc.ac.uk /vicepd
>
> The cell is named mcc.ac.gb because we were supposed to change
> all of our DNS registrations years ago, and never did.  There
> should be nothing to tell arla that the cell or realm is or
> should be mcc.ac.uk, but still it seems to try to look at that
> cell.  Why?

Your database servers are {rock,ice,snow}.mcc.ac.uk.  My guess is that the
tools are trying to figure out what Kerberos realm those are in, and get
tickets for that.  Since there is no krb.realms entry, the realm is being
constructed by chopping off the first hostname component.

If I'm correct, the solution is to add the following line to
/etc/krb.realms:

mcc.ac.uk MCC.AC.GB

-- Jeff