state of the code

kimo_sabe@atdot.org kimo_sabe at atdot.org
Sun Oct 24 03:46:35 CEST 1999

  Hello. I am seriously concidering using Arla for an elementary school
server cluster. I was wondering as to the stability and scalability of the
code as it stands.  Also I was wondering if there was something I could do
to help.
  The setup I'm looking at is a small(3-5) server cluster of file/app servers.
These servers would be sharing the load of home directory sharing for 800
users. The servers will also be running some X apps for the lab of about 30
systems. Eventually we also plan to scatter about a bunch of 486's which
would netboot and be completely dependant on the servers for X. Anyway, we
want a highly reliable for the some 40Gigs of home directories and apps we
would like to support.
  So, are there any problems I should be aware of before I push this idea any
further? Is the client(arlad) end stable enough for this environment? What
about the server(milko)?
  Oh yeah, We're looking at doing this with either Linux 2.2 for FreeBSD for
the servers and Linux 2.2 on the clients.
  Thank you all for your time.
  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe at atdot.org