state of the code

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Sun Oct 24 04:22:10 CEST 1999

kimo_sabe at atdot.org writes:

>   Hello. I am seriously concidering using Arla for an elementary school
> server cluster. I was wondering as to the stability and scalability of the
> code as it stands.  Also I was wondering if there was something I could do
> to help.

I should not use it right now for production servers. But there is progress
being made on the milko side.

Milko is going into alpha testing any day now. Missing pieces on fileserver
are callbacks, and volser (creating volumes, dumps/backups and cloning,
this is done with a program called ``sked´´ today). And we need to check
performance too (there have been little work beening done on this though).

>   So, are there any problems I should be aware of before I push this idea any
> further? Is the client(arlad) end stable enough for this environment? What
> about the server(milko)?
>   Oh yeah, We're looking at doing this with either Linux 2.2 for FreeBSD for
> the servers and Linux 2.2 on the clients.

I use arla-0.27 on my computer (with a manitory restart of arla when tokens
expire, this bug is fixed in the cvs-tree). So I would say that
linux-client is getting better. Current BSD-code has locking problems and
those need to be ironed out before 0.28.