[LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk: Arla 0.27 on S.u.S.E]

Chris Wing wingc at engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 5 20:22:35 CEST 1999

Owen:

I am working on a similar problem in klog: being able to automatically
figure out what realm to get a Kerberos ticket-granting ticket in based on
an AFS cell name.

The problem may lie in libkafs's krb_afslog() function, which calls upon
krb_realm_of_cell() to determine which Kerberos realm it should attempt to
get a ticket for.

Assuming that your Kerberos realm is MCC.AC.GB, and that your cell's
servers are 130.88.203.{11,12,14} (which is what my CellServDB has),
here's what may be going on:

- we get a Kerberos ticket for MCC.AC.GB  (which should work properly)

- klog calls krb_afslog_uid() to get the token.

- krb_afslog calls krb_realm_of_cell()

- krb_realm_of_cell() looks for the CellServDB entry for mcc.ac.gb, and
gets the IP address 130.88.203.11

- an inverse DNS lookup is performed on 130.88.203.11, yielding
rock.mcc.ac.uk

- (from my reading) the libkafs code assumes that the AFS server is in the
realm MCC.AC.UK, from it's domain name

- the libkafs code may be trying to get an AFS ticket (token) in the realm
MCC.AC.UK, which fails.

My apologies if I didn't study the libkafs code enough to figure out
what's really going on, but I did seem to notice the above behavior in my
tests.

Try adding the following to /etc/krb.realms and see if it solves your
problem:

.mcc.ac.uk	MCC.AC.GB

-Chris

wingc at engin.umich.edu