lookup() returns wrong type on Linux 2.2

Jim Nance jim_nance at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 14:47:42 CEST 1999

Hello All,
    I found what may be a problem.  When I compile
arla-0.24 on my Linux-2.2.9 system, I get the
following
warnings:

xfs_inodeops.c:273: warning: initialization from
incompatible pointer type
xfs_inodeops.c:316: warning: initialization from
incompatible pointer type
xfs_inodeops.c:376: warning: initialization from
incompatible pointer type

I looked at the code and arla's lookup function
returns
an int, but the prototype from the linux kernel
headers
looks like this:

struct dentry * (*lookup) (struct inode *,struct
dentry *);

Now that I think about this I remember a discussion on
linux-kernel, and I think this change was made to
support aliasing with MSDOS file systems.  Does anyone
know more about this?

Thanks,

Jim