lookup() returns wrong type on Linux 2.2

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Tue May 18 15:27:13 CEST 1999

> I looked at the code and arla's lookup function returns an int, but
> the prototype from the linux kernel headers looks like this:
>
> struct dentry * (*lookup) (struct inode *,struct
> dentry *);

Yes, I know this. Alexander Viro changed the interface. I have chosen
not to change the code for now, since it should work anyway. I will
have to use lots of ugly #ifdef:s, and that's why it wasn't included
in 0.24. The code will change in the future, though.

> Now that I think about this I remember a discussion on
> linux-kernel, and I think this change was made to
> support aliasing with MSDOS file systems.  Does anyone
> know more about this?

Yes, it was part of the big changes that also included the rename
semantic change. That is, however, changed in arla 0.24.

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se