over-full cache

Paul Ewing Jr. ewing at ima.umn.edu
Thu May 13 00:02:57 CEST 1999

I'm running Arla 0.23 with FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE.  I've noticed that
sometimes the arlad cache overflows:

> fido 155% /usr/arla/bin/fs getcache
> Arla is using 102413 of the cache's available 102400 1K byte blocks
> (and 98 of the cache's available 4000 vnodes)

At this point, everytime I try to access something not in the cache I
get "No space left on device", and the cache cleaner never gets the
cache usage back below the maximum.

Under normal usage, this seems to happen only occasionally, but I can
reproduce it at will by simply writing ten 10 Mb files within a couple
of minutes.

I'm using the standard values for these variables in
/usr/arla/etc/arlad.conf:

high_bytes 100M
low_bytes 90M
fpriority 100