Two problems with arla 0.25

Tim Yardley yardley at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 25 17:41:35 CEST 1999

: bash-2.02# echo xxx >test
: bash-2.02# ls -l test
: -rw-r--r--   1 root     software       4 Jun 25 14:43 test
: bash-2.02# cat yyy >>test
: cat: cannot open yyy

umm... maybe it is just me, but i don't see the error.  does the file
'yyy' exist?  I don't think you are doing what you meant to do.  your
session should have gone something more like this:

echo xxx > test
ls -al test
echo yyy >> test

if that breaks, then your permissions are screwed up in some manner and/or
arla is.  otherwise, it should be fine.

: However, on another machine running Transarc AFS I see:
:
: $ ls -l test
: ----------   1 root     software        4 Jun 25 14:43 test
: schoepf at perdita(618)$

this output is relevant because of?  or, are you just noting that the
transarc client doesn't put permissions on the file?  as far as afs is
concerned, unix file permissions DO NOT matter.  It doesn't pay attention
to them at all (at least that is my understanding).

Just my thoughts...

/tmy

-- Diving into infinity my consciousness expands in inverse
   proportion to my distance from singularity