Success (mostly) with arla 0.9 on Debian system

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Wed Aug 5 11:48:46 CEST 1998

> The recently released arla version 0.9 now more or less works
> on my Debian (hamm) system.  I say it works because it compiles
> without problems, startarla works with my cell's ThisCell and
> CellServDB, /afs is populated, and I can even execute binaries
> in /afs.  Finally!  Good work and many thanks to all.

I'm glad to hear that.

> I say it works more or less, though, because there is a problem.
> The Debian system's cron runs a find job every day (despite my
> deleting every line I can find which might do it) that tries
> to search all of /afs.  Unfortunately it appears that this job
> is responsible for leaving the arla-mounted /afs in an odd state:
> xfs module still there, arlad still running, /afs apparently
> mounted, but nothing under /afs accessible.

The only thing that I have had problems with in this respect is the
updatedb cron job, but usually updatedb has a rule that prevents it
from searching /afs.

This is not an excuse for arla's behavior, though. In what way are the
files under /afs not accessible? What happens if you to "cd" to a
directory or "ls" in a directory? What happens if you try to read a
file?

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se