arla on FreeBSD 6 or 7?

Alec Kloss alec-keyword-arla.4d43de at SetFilePointer.com
Tue Jan 22 01:05:28 CET 2008

On 2008-01-20 14:44, Robert Watson wrote:

> I ran into a few difficulties with this on 8-CURRENT (not surprisingly), in
> approximately this order:
>
> - The Coda and Arla liblwp's have the same name but different functionality.
>   I wonder if Arla's liblwp could be installed as liblwp_arla?  Uninstalling
>   Coda did the trick, but it would be nice to be able to have both on the
>   same
>   machine.
>
> - configure seemed to get fairly confused about picking the right variants
> of
>   various VFS-related calls, such as vget(), and often enabled several
>   #defines rather than just one.  For example, I found that
>   HAVE_THREE_ARGUMENTS_VFS_BUSY and HAVE_FOUR_ARGUMENTS_VFS_BUSY were both
>   defined.
>
> - I ran into quite a few unprotected ifdefs, such as "#if
> __NetBSD_version__ >
>   " which need to be in the form "#if defined (__NetBSD__) && ...".
>
> - VFS has changed some more -- VOP_LOCK() now lacks a thread pointer,
>   VOP_OPEN() accepts a file * rather than a file index as the last argument,
>   so typically it's now NULL rather than -1.  And other things along these
>   lines.

[chop]
> In continue to wonder if the right answer for FreeBSD isn't just to
> unifdef/configure the kernel module and import it into CVS.  This would
[chop]

<disclaimer>
Just to be clear, I don't know much about the innards of arla, VFS,
or any such thing.  I'm a Java bunny by trade.  I've been a FreeBSD
user forever (well, since the mid-90s anyway) and an arla/OpenAFS
user for the last five years or so.  I just heard that arla from
CVS works in 6.x, so I started making some ports hoping to increase
the exposure so that, next time FreeBSD's VFS shifts, maybe someone
in the know would have arla installed and would get it fixed,
rather than the current state where I've got machines I'd love to
run newer FreeBSD's on stuck with older ones.
</disclaimer>

I'm 100% willing to help out and can dedicate some time every week
to this task.  If -current is the way to go, I'll build a -current
machine and see what I can hack together to get things working.  I
haven't had much luck with arla on 7.x yet, but you're right, that
working on -current would probably be better.  It'd be nice to hear
from someone more "in" with arla to hear their opinion about
importing nnpfs into FreeBSD.  IMHO, having a working AFS client
near-out-of-the-box would be a wonderful thing for AFS and for
FreeBSD.

As for liblwp, I'm already abusing things a little by installing
into $PREFIX/arla;  does that not help?  I suppose during link we
might be getting coda's lwp linked in?  I can look into what it
would take to rename liblwp in my port.  I'm curious to know how
different arla's liblwp and coda's liblwp are---I'd think there'd
be some chance of them sharing.

Anyway, csup'ing to -current on a test box now... I'll try to get
nnpfs running on -current.  As I was working on getting it working
on 7.x, I did get the kernel module loaded, arlad started, and /afs
mounted, but ls /afs resulted in a panic in nnpfs_getattr.  I don't
have much else to tell you until I get my "real" test machine
updated to -current and running with gdb.  If you've got any hints
about what's different between 6.3 and 7.x for me I'd love to hear
them.

Alec Kloss  alec at SetFilePointer.com   IM: angryspamhater at yahoo.com
PGP key at http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA241980E
"No Bunny!" -- Simon, from Frisky Dingo