Arla on FreeBSD 5.5

Jerold McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Sep 13 19:19:55 CEST 2006

Hi Everyone,

I just attempted to install Arla on a FreeBSD 5.5 from updated ports
(The canonical way to install third party software on FreeBSD).
I need a working AFS client.  I am using FreeBSD 5.5 because I was
informed that it would not work on 6.1 due to problems using locks
(kernel locks??) that have not been resolved.

According to the list on the arla website at:
     http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/arla/
it is supposed to work on FreeBSD 5.5.  But,

the install is blocked with the message:

#  ===> arla-0.40 is marked as broken: "compiles but overwrites files
#  from a dependancy (security/heimdal)".

Is this something appropriate people are aware of and that someone
is working on?

Is there something I can do about this or can I just cause it to ignore
this with impunity?  If so, how?

Does it just overwrite heimdal with the one from ports - which might be
what is already installed anyway?    If so, does it matter?

If it matters, does arla have to have that particular heimdal and not
what might already be installed - so can a check for it be put in and
have it skip over the overwriting and just use what is already there?

Basically, I need to get somewhere on this and don't know how to
procede so any pointers or help will be appreciated.

////jerry