Simple patch for pts.c

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Thu Nov 16 00:40:03 CET 2006

On Friday, November 10, 2006 10:45:20 AM +0100 Tomas Olsson <tol at it.su.se>
wrote:

> Rasmus Kaj <kaj at kth.se> writes:
>> In appl/pts/pts.c, the chown_cmd function, there is a mistake in
>> argument ordering, so pts chown fail.
>>
>> There is a patch in /afs/kth.se/home/k/a/kaj/Public/patch-ptc.c
>>
> Thanks. The original mistake was most likely in that this is the only
> place where the host argument was added after 'cell', so I'd prefer just
> reordering the command's arguments for consistency. Would that cause any
> problems (like widely deployed arla-dependent scripts for example)?
>
> It would also make it slightly less different from the OpenAFS version,
> which is good.

I'm not sure I follow this.  OpenAFS doesn't have a -host argument to pts
chown, or any other pts subcommand.  Maximal compatibility with OpenAFS
would require putting any new arguments last, and preferably requiring that
the corresponding switches be given explicitly.

Of course, to my knowledge, Transarc, IBM, and the OpenAFS project have
always admonished AFS users to use explict, fully-spelled-out switches in
things like scripts, and save the abbreviations for manually-typed commands.

-- Jeff