4GB read limit with 0.42 and NetBSD 3.0/i386

Jason White jdw-arla at menelos.com
Sat May 20 07:18:32 CEST 2006

NetBSD 3.0/i386
Arla-0.42/0.41/0.40

I have a file just over 4GB which was copied from local disk into afs using
arla-0.42 and the 'cp' command:
-rw-r--r--  1 14773  wheel  4328521728 May 19 21:56 bigfile
Size in megabytes: 4128

When I try to reverse this procedure and copy the file using 'cp' out of afs
to local disk I hit a 4GB limit:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4294770688 May 19 23:02 bigfile-cp-fromafs
Size in megabytes: 4095.81

I have the partial output of 'arladebug almost-all' from just before the 4GB
limit was hit available at:
/afs/iastate.edu/users/07/13/jdwhite/public/arladebug.syslog.gz  (82K)

What's interesting is that arlad spews tons of debugging output until the 4GB
limit is reached.  At this point the debugging output abruptly stops.  Arlad
continues to utilize CPU and network as it did prior to hitting 4GB, yet
nothing beyond 4294770688 bytes is written to the file.  The cache
utilization, which had been steadily increasing up to 4GB, drops down to near
zero utilization.  In addition, arlad continues to receive data for much
longer than it would take to copy the additional 32MB required to complete
the transfer and arlad must be killed to stop it from chugging along
indefinitely.

I did a 'ktrace' on arlad after it started spinning its wheels and have
placed the output at:
/afs/iastate.edu/users/07/13/jdwhite/public/arlad.after_4G_hit.dump.gz (137M)

In addition, I attempted to copy the file out of AFS using 'arla-cli' and
its 'cp' command.  arla-cli copied all 4128M of bigfile, but md5 sums did not
match.  The original bigfile contains the string '12345678', repeated.  Upon
further inspection, of the copied bigfile, everything up to and
including the first 32MB+64K is correct, but everything afterward is all
NULLs.

-Jason

--
Jason White <jdw-arla at menelos.com>       Jabber: jdwhite(jabber.org)