Arla 0.42-RC2

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Thu Mar 30 23:04:33 CEST 2006

Alec Kloss <alec-keyword-arla.4d43de at SetFilePointer.com> writes:
> nnpfs/freebsd/Makefile-FreeBSD has a funny reference to
> KRB5_INC_DIR

Oops, missed one. Thanks. Most likely there are a few other things that can
be removed from that Makefile, too.

> I tried the mv across volumes a few times with a few largish files
> (400 MB) and it seems to work, although a lot of other processes
> seem to get stuck in nnpfs_lock on the same machine until the mv is
> done, and listing the target directory of the rename hangs in nnpfs
> on other machines running 0.41 until the rename finished.  A plain
> old cp doesn't do either of those things, so maybe there's a
> different way to implement the copy+remove without the bad
> side-effects?

The VFS locks the target directory and node before the operation reaches
nnpfs, so, there isn't much I can do about that. Most likely arlad/nnpfs
adds does some locking as well. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

The real fun part begins when you start renaming directory trees, with hard
links and mountpoints... And the worst bugs are always in the error
handling code.

Except for Finder, most 'mv' implementations should be able to do
copy+remove properly on EXDEV. Apart from mountpoints, that is. If there's
popular demand I could add some way to disable this feature. Let me know
how you feel about it.

> I'll toss this onto our releng boxes later today to put some more
> stress on things and report anything of interest.

Great
        /t