Arla 0.42-RC2

Alec Kloss alec-keyword-arla.4d43de at SetFilePointer.com
Thu Mar 30 21:03:00 CEST 2006

On 2006-03-29 17:15, Tomas Olsson wrote:
> Hello,
> it's time for a release again, with universal binaries for the mac users,
> support for modern linux, etc. I've prepared a 0.42-RC2, and I hope you all
> will stress it as much as you can to help us get the last bugs out before
> we roll a final 0.42.
>
> One interesting thing to try out is rename() (as in 'mv') between AFS
> volumes. Arla now helps out by doing a copy + remove, since Finder
> doesn't. Currently only works within the same cell, but it should handle
> mountpoints and various kinds of links properly.

Tested and seems to work okay on FreeBSD 5.4.

nnpfs/freebsd/Makefile-FreeBSD has a funny reference to
KRB5_INC_DIR in nnpfs/freebsd/Makefile-FreeBSD which needs to be
set in /etc/make.conf for things to compile.  I'm pretty sure you
also need to set SYSDIR in /etc/make.conf to point at your kernel
sources which is probably reasonable.

I tried the mv across volumes a few times with a few largish files
(400 MB) and it seems to work, although a lot of other processes
seem to get stuck in nnpfs_lock on the same machine until the mv is
done, and listing the target directory of the rename hangs in nnpfs
on other machines running 0.41 until the rename finished.  A plain
old cp doesn't do either of those things, so maybe there's a
different way to implement the copy+remove without the bad
side-effects?

I'll toss this onto our releng boxes later today to put some more
stress on things and report anything of interest.

--
Alec Kloss           alec at SetFilePointer.com
PGP key at http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA241980E