arla-0.41 and support for Tiger

Jean-Damien Durand Jean-Damien.Durand at cern.ch
Sat Jan 7 09:38:01 CET 2006

Dear Philippe,

Here is how I get into afs at cern from debian/unstable/i386 using only
heimdal and arla;

- Configuration files are:
/etc/krb5.conf       (http://home.cern.ch/user/~jdurand/krb5.conf)
/etc/krb.conf        (http://home.cern.ch/user/~jdurand/krb.conf)
/etc/arla/ThisCell   (http://home.cern.ch/user/~jdurand/ThisCell)
/etc/arla/CellServDB (http://home.cern.ch/user/~jdurand/CellServDB)

The important line in krb5.conf is for the kdc: afsdb[1-3].cern.ch. Beware
that inside cern, that file contains afsmisc[1-3].cern.ch instead. This is
an error since these machines are behind a firewall.

- Access:

jddportable% kinit
jdurand at CERN.CH's Password:

jddportable% klist
Credentials cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_27343
        Principal: jdurand at CERN.CH

  Issued           Expires          Principal
Jan  7 09:12:26  Jan  8 10:12:26  krbtgt/CERN.CH at CERN.CH
Jan  7 09:12:26  Jan  8 10:12:26  afs at CERN.CH

jddportable% kalog jdurand
Getting ticket for jdurand at cern.ch
Password:

From now on, I can access afs at cern with no problem.

Recently debian dropped kerberos4. Before that, kinit alone was enough.
With heimdal only, I did not find a way using kinit only to bypass the kalog
step (but I did not investigated very much...).

Hope this help,

Cheers, JD.