roken and heimdal dependencies

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Tue Nov 8 16:44:37 CET 2005

Hi all,
I need your feedback on a few things.

Short version:
1. Do you use arla with some kerberos implementation other than heimdal?
2. Would you be upset if arla was to depend on heimdal being installed?
3. What's your OS/version/platform?

Private replies are quite ok :)

Thanks
        /t

Long version:

Arla has always had a tight connection to heimdal, and since way back
libroken has provided necessary support to make arla portable across such a
wide range of platforms. The roken libraries are developed in heimdal, and
from time to time we have copied the latest versions to the arla tree. My
question is:

 Should we remove the libroken copy from arla, and depend explicitly on
 heimdal?

While there in theory always has been the possibility of building arla
without heimdal, we haven't tested arla with other kerberos distributions
for a long time. And either way one still needs kafs or krbafs for the
pioctl interface that is needed for 'fs' and authentication to work at all.

In other words, we are already fairly close to a dependency on heimdal.

Removing libroken (and sl) from the arla tree would result in a dependency
on heimdal for those libraries. Currently heimdal does not support building
only those parts, but one could probably keep only them and remove the rest
if necessary.

Pros:
  ease of development
  less risk of roken mismatch with installed heimdal

Cons:
  true dependency on (parts of) heimdal

Comments, thoughts, ideas? This may not happen this week, but I'd like to
know what you need, before we make the decision.

/t