Problems building arla-0.38 on RHEL-3.0 kernel=2.4.21-20.ELsmp

Andy Malato andym at oak.njit.edu
Fri Mar 18 04:41:06 CET 2005

! Date: 18 Mar 2005 00:21:11 +0100
! From: Tomas Olsson <tol at stacken.kth.se>
! To: Andy Malato <andym at oak.njit.edu>
! Cc: arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se
! Subject: Re: Problems building arla-0.38 on RHEL-3.0
!     kernel=2.4.21-20.ELsmp
!
! Andy Malato <andym at oak.njit.edu> writes:
! > When I run a ./configure && make -- I get the following error:
! >
! > make[2]: *** [nnpfs_load.o] Error 1
! > make[2]: Leaving directory
! >
! The lines before this usually includes the actual error messages, which are
! more interesting. Sometimes the compiler command line is echoed as well,
! that can be helpful too.
!
! > What is nnpfs?
! >
! nnpfs is the filesystem driver that allows your OS to mount and access
! /afs. Without it, you just have the command line utilities to play with. It
! used to be called xfs, but that's too popular a name nowadays.
!
! > Anyone have suggestions on how I can succesfully compile arla-0.38 on an
! > AMD64 system running RHEL 3.0 with kernel 2.4.21-20.ELsmp ?
! >
! I don't know anything about rhel30 specifically, but do you have heimdal
! installed? Arla should work with MIT kerberos, but it's not all that well
! tested. We tend to use heimdal, and it works very well. If it's in a
! nonstandard place, you may need to give --with-krb5 to configure.
!
! /t
!

Hi Tomas --

Well I don't have heimdal or MIT as we are not using krb5 on our database
servers.  We are using the standard kas (krb4) server that is apart of a
Normal AFS/OpenAFS installation.  Do I need heimdal to build arla even
though we are using krb4?

Thanks,

        ---Andy