arla-0.38 on FreeBSD/amd64

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Fri Jan 7 14:41:02 CET 2005

Garrett Wollman <wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> [Third time's the charm....]

You got stuck in the not-on-mailinglist filter.

> I ran into a few issues getting Arla to compile and (seemingly) work
> on FreeBSD/amd64.  The most significant one has to do with the build
> system for kernel modules on amd64.  I would suggest that, in general,
> one cannot expect to use any build system for kernel modules other
> than that supported by the operating system; my attempts to hack
> correct module building into the existing makefile resulted in failure
> (and in one case a kernel panic).  Since the infrastructure is there,
> and it results in a dramatically simpler Makefile, it would probably
> be better to use it.  (It's essential in my case since I need to
> supply the KERNCOMPILEDIR variable to use the correct global compile
> options for my custom kernel.)

You are correct, but for many system its have not been possible use the
native buildsystem. But if this is a supported operation on freebsd, we
will consider doing that instead.

> There still remain a number of LP64 and other type bugs in the 0.38
> release.  The enclosed patches fix the ones I noticed.  There may
> still be others, as I noticed that writes did not work for anonymous
> users with "system:anyuser rli" or "system:anyuser rlidwk".
> (Interestingly, the *create* operation worked; it was just the write
> that failed.)
>
> The first patch may be essential, since register_t is 64 bits on LP64.
> The other patches mostly fix debugging output; size_t != int on LP64.

I commited your fixes. I know for sure we have tried arla on LP64 platforms
(linux/amd).

Love