arla-0.38 on FreeBSD/amd64

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jan 7 01:46:14 CET 2005

<<On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:24:51 -0500 (EST), I wrote:

> There still remain a number of LP64 and other type bugs in the 0.38
> release.

One other thing I noticed: utimes() seems to be broken.  Files
extracted from an archive (for example) had their mtimes set to
(time_t)0xffffffff, indicating some sort of sign-extension and/or
endianness bug.

Performance seems to be a bit lacking, even compared to OpenAFS.  I'm
not sure how much of that is due to the server, and how much is due to
the cache manager not trying hard enough to hold on to cached data.
I'm running some benchmarks while watching with "amon" and never see
more than two workers running simultaneously.

Any advice as to whether lwp or pthreads is preferred, going forward?
pthreads is at least SMP-capable.

-GAWollman