patches for FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE

Rick C. Petty rick-arla at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Dec 9 20:47:09 CET 2005

** Current status **

unloading the module	OK
unload, arlad running	PANIC (page fault)
mounting filesystem	PANIC (explained below)

I fixed up my previous mounting problem;  I wasn't sure what vnode namei()
was looking for, but mount_nnpfs(1) passes the device's name as optional
data.  I fixed the cmount to pass this data into the mount structure using
"from" much like the way /sys/fs/msdosfs/ does..  I still have the panic,
but much later in the process.  With debugging enabled, "kldload nnpfs.ko"
reports:

nnpfs: cdev: 0, syscall: 339
nnpfs_load = 0
nnpfs_init

Which is expected (remember FreeBSD 6.0 did away with device majors).
The report after "mount_nnpfs /dev/nnpfs0 /afs" is:

nnpfs_mount: struct mount mp = c19e3400 path = '/afs' data = '/dev/nnpfs0'
dev = .0
nnpfs_statfs: mp = c19e3400, sbp = c19e3480, proc = c1cec180
nnpfs_root mp = c19e3400
nnpfs_message_rpc opcode = 2
did not get root, making dead
make_dead_vnode mp = c19e3400

At this point, I'm not too sure about the expected behavior of nnpfs so I
either need some guidance or (preferrably) some brave souls to pickup
where I've left off.  I know the FreeBSD VFS subsystem better than I know
the ins and outs of Arla.

-- Rick C. Petty

please note that my patches are against the fresh arla-0.41 source...

[attached: arla41-freebsd6a.tgz, my new set of patches for 6.0-RELEASE]