arla on dual amd 64-bit

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Tue Aug 2 10:50:49 CEST 2005

> As I've pointed out in the past, you cannot expect an arbitrary
> Makefile to successfully build a FreeBSD kernel module.  You *must*
> use the kernel's module-build infrastructure.

Reference:
http://www.stacken.kth.se/lists/arla-drinkers/2005-01/msg00003.html

It is not _that_ easy because configure must first detect that is is
actually a system which has the feature "kernel module-build
infrastructure" and then build the right Makefile.

Love wrote:
http://www.stacken.kth.se/lists/arla-drinkers/2005-01/msg00005.html

and I'm sure he wants to review for example this

 #include <dirent.h>
 #if DIRENT_AND_SYS_DIR_H
+#ifndef __FreeBSD__		/* configure test ok, but compiler warns */
 #include <sys/dir.h>
+#endif
 #endif
 #elif defined(HAVE_SYS_DIR_H)

which should be fixed by fixing the value of DIRENT_AND_SYS_DIR_H (or
breaking it up into two flags) instead of __FreeBSD__.

Another alternative is to do a FreeBSD specific port (more or less
like the OpenBSD folks do, but they are currently at 0.35.7, so is
this really the way to go?). I think all solutions which try to
support platform dependent code stink "pick your misery" long way.

Next week is Hackathon week, so we should have the time to get your
Makefile stuff into the main tree.

Harald.