Almost there! Arla 0.37rc5 on Mac OS X 10.3.5

Paul Swenson pds at mac.com
Thu Sep 23 20:22:45 CEST 2004

Greetings All,

> Maybe Afslog.app is searching for the cache at the old place (file)
> instead of the new memory location.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

> You probably don't need kth-krb (v4). Heimdal's afslog (v5) from the
> newest snapshot should be able to take your ticket from the
> "API:Initial default ccache" and stuff it into Arla's or OpenAFS'
> token. If you have modern enough servers you can do without any
> v4 if you want.

Not sure if I was clear on this, but I am compiling against Mac OS X's
built-in MIT Kerberos. As per your recommendation (and those of some others on
the Arla site), I tried to get Heimdal building. I've tried the latest 0.6.3
release, as well as the most recent snapshot (and a few slightly older
snapshots). The snapshots get further into the build process, but none of them
will finish compiling cleanly in OS X for me. The latest snapshot does get far
enough to compile afslog, which I've tried using to try to copy my krb5 ticket
into the Arla token cache, but without good results:

[paul at ibook ~]$ ./afslog --help
Usage: afslog [-uvh] [--cell=cell]... [-c cell]... [--file=path]... [-p path]...
   [--realm=realm] [-k realm] [--unlog] [--no-v5] [--verbose] [--version]
   [--help] [cell|path]...
-c cell, --cell=cell    cells to get tokens for
-p path, --file=path    files to get tokens for
-k realm, --realm=realm realm for afs cell
-u, --unlog             remove tokens
--no-v5                 don't use Kerberos 5
[paul at ibook ~]$ ./afslog -c umbc.edu -k umbc.edu
afslog: krb5_afslog(umbc.edu): No such file or directory
[paul at ibook ~]$ ./afslog -c umbc.edu -k umbc.edu --no-v5
[paul at ibook ~]$ tokens

Tokens held by Arla:

[paul at ibook ~]$

Has anyone successfully gotten Arla 0.37rc5 to obtain tokens on Mac OS X
10.3.5? What method are you using? I'm willing to try building Arla against a
statically linked Heimdal (which I've read can work better than dynamically
linking against the system's MIT Kerberos) but to do that I need to get
Heimdal to compile all the way. Any other crazy ideas? ;-)

Thanks for the responses so far!

Cheers,

-Paul Swenson